Since 1927 .......
Runkel Abstract & Title Co. was incorporated in 1927 and has been operating under the same name since. That's 90 years of serving our customers! From what we have learned, our company history starts long before our 1927.
Edward C. Kretlow served as the Register of Deeds for Marathon County from 1891 to 1904. The Marathon County Abstract Company was founded by Kretlow in 1890 and incorporated in 1905. It is thought that Kretlow's business was located in the Mayer Lotz Building which was formerly the Marathon County Bank. It is also believed that George A. Runkel bought the assets of Kretlow's business and subsequently incorporated as Runkel Abstract & Title Company in April of 1927.
Mr. Runkel was the Register of Deeds for Marathon County from 1917 to 1918 and again from 1921 to 1932. The firm was operated by Lee W. Allard and Floyd R. Runkel, George's son, until 1966 when Mr. Allard retired. William F. Abraham and Constance Hoenisch purchased Mr. Allard's interest and Floyd, Bill and Connie owned the business until 1971 when Mr. Abraham purchased the interests of Floyd and Connie. Mr. Abraham retired in 1984 and the current management took ownership.
Originally, Runkels was located on the 2nd floor of the Mayer Lotz Building on 3rd Street in downtown Wausau. When additional space was required, the Company moved to the 3rd floor where it remained until 1976. In 1976, Mr. Abraham purchased the current building on 522 Scott Street, Wausau, formerly occupied by the Bliese Grocery Store. After a 1987 fire in the adjoining Colby house, the present owners purchased the property and expanded the building. In a subsequent expansion and restoration of the building in 2005, the company doubled the space of the offices and restored much of the interior and exterior to the original 1920's design.
Today, Runkel Abstract & Title Co. is owned and operated by Marvin Pilgrim and Mary Jane Pilgrim. The couple has owned the Company since 1984 and have grown the business into the Runkel Family consisting of six companies, employing thirty-eight professionals overall.
The Runkel Family of Title Companies was started in 1996 with the addition of Lincoln County Abstract Company. In 2004, the Runkel Family expanded with the addition of Forest Abstract Company and Shoreline Title Services, Inc. In 2005, Associated Title Co., L.L.C joined the Runkel Family and in 2007, the Runkel Family again grew with the addition of Lake Country Title Services, LLC and the acquisition of Block Title, Inc.
Runkel's experienced team of professionals along with the support from the Runkel Family of Title Companies partner with lenders, realtors, attorneys, and property owners offering a comprehensive line of real estate services and products. Areas of expertise include title insurance policies, information reports, closing and escrow services and construction disbursing services.
Need a relevant document from 1927? Runkel has it. Since its inception, Runkel has maintained a library of all industry-related documents - an in-house title plant unique to central Wisconsin. An integral tool for the title plant is our in-house tracking system. Every day, we receive downloads of every single Register of Deeds document and obtain all Clerk of Court records. We review all materials and independently code them according to our in-house system so that all employees can easily access and track records. This information is used to generate mortgage reports, so we verify everything we receive and then recode the documents to match our internal numbering system so our searchers can easily access everything they need concerning an individual and a property - anything that could influence a closing.